Re: Torque Converter questions

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 16:17:41 EST

At 11:03 AM 1/11/04, you wrote:
>At the launch or during the run?

At the launch. Simple explanation is that the tranny is fully not
engaged to the crankshaft. When you put the pedal to metal,
the two will fully engage at whatever the flash stall of the converter.
So if you have a flash stall of 3000 rpms, the rear wheels will move
off the line with whatever torque your engine produces at 3000 rpms
(plus whatever torque multiplication factor is built into the converter).

I can't remember now but the Dakotas had either a 1600 or 1800 stall
stock converter (it was changed somewhere around the 92 model).
I think the stock torque multiplication factor was around 1.6 to 1.8.

>And finally, what converter should I be using to get better runs on the track?

There are a lot of factors in getting the appropriate converter (truck weight,
gear ratio, etc.). One important one is the rpm that the peak torque
of your engine occurs. You don't want to put in a 3000 stall converter if
your peak torque is somewhere below 3000 rpm. Ideally, you'd like
it somewhere on the uphill to the peak torque rpm.

You'll also make comprises if your Dak is street driven. For example,
my engine's peak torque is around 4600 rpm but I wouldn't want
to put in a 4000 or 4500 stall converter. It would be great for the strip
but it would be a bear to drive on the street :-( and my Dak is my
daily driver.

Generally, a converter with a flash stall of 3000 can be designed so that
it almost be unnoticeable on the street but will still flash to 3000 when
you get on the pedal. That's the compromise that I made ... 3000 flash
stall and 2.0 torque multiplication factor.

All you need after that is for the rear wheels to hook up :-)

Bob Tom Ontario, Canada
97 Dakota CC Sport, na modded 5.2L, 4x2, 44RE w transgo, 4.56 SG,
      3000 stall converter, 4120 lb race weight, 13.98 @ 99.85