Re: Re: Re: Aux input for factory radio?

From: korey99@yahoo.com
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 23:20:53 EST

> Josh is right. Don't think of that input on the back of your factory head
> unit as just "changer controls"... think of it as "brand specific external
> hookup" :)
>
> Basically each brand that makes head units has thier own connector, but they
> all do the same thing. That is communicate with external devices made by
> that brand.
>
> If you can find out which brand made the radio for DC, then that brands
> adaptors will probably work with your factory radio.
>
> Most brands sell and adaptor that plugs into your "brand specific external
> hookup" and adapts it to a set of RCA inputs. Or that brand might sell a
> different adaptor designed specifically for thier Sirrus addon.

By the way, I looked into the "brand specific external hookup" interface cables
on the web, and I found that Precision Interface Electronics (PIE) makes a
cable like you mentioned. It's about $70 though. Sounds like the exact same
type of thing we got for the MINI.

We've got a portable CD player (capable of playing MP3's on a CD) that we use
in our MINI with the aux input, but if it's going to cost $70 for a similar
setup, I'd be tempted just to get an in-dash CD player with MP3 capability.
Anyone have any luck selling a factory radio on ebay, etc?

Korey