Re: replacing timing chain on 1998 dakota 2.5 liter

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 17:30:52 EST

"Wilbur" <bwgreen@ocean.otr.usm.edu> wrote in message
news:bu72jf$leu$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> suppose I should replace the other one of the pair too? Should I
> replace all the valve springs and and locks and retainers and valve stem
> oil seals for all 4 cylinders or just for cyl #1?

Might as well do them all as long as you're in there...

> The push rods looked okay from cyl #1, not bent or anything and I have
> the rockers, bridge and pivot assembly and bolts (also looked fine)
> sitting in a box in the correct order to put back on.

this is important, make sure you don't get them mixed up, or you'll be in
for a world of ticking noises.

> As for replacing the valve springs...from what i can see online, some
> peeps recommend using air pressure via the spark plug hole to keep the
> valve seated while taking off the spring....I don't have an air
> compressor at all to maintain the recommended pressure (90psi) to keep
> the valve seated. Any other recommendations to keep the valve seated
> while I remove the spring? Could I tie some string to the valve stem
> after I have it compressed to keep it from falling into the cylinder?
> Oh and do the valve compressors you can get at autozone and O'reillys
> work for this kind of job? Thanks.

Pull the head, send it out to have it magnafluxed for cracks and have new
springs/retainers installed. They'll even put it in a solvent tank, clean
it, and take care of everything for you. IMO, the piece of mind is worth
the $40 - $80. (I've never had only 1 head done, I've always had a V6 or
V8.) Besides, it only takes a day and then you don't have to worry about
"killing" yourself with a valvespring. (be careful if you decide to tackle
this, those suckers can come off of there like little rockets if you're not
paying attention)

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L