cold hoses, temp gauge at normal?

From: ethan@ethanschwartz.com
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 20:18:49 EST

Ok people, put your heads together for this...

It's been really cold around here (as I'm sure you all know)... but my heat is
worthless... when I'm moving I get hardly any heat, the interior maybe hits
like ~50* after a 15-20 mi drive...

The temp gauge reads about 1/4"-1/2" below the 210-mark, which I think is about
right, considering it should be a 195* stat?

But..... I let the truck idle while I stopped off at my mom's tonight... 15
minutes turned into 3 hours... then I drove home (20mi)... got gas (truck still
running)... and opened the hood (still running) and the hoses (upper radiator
and both heater) were all barely warm to the touch, about the temp of a hot
shower... I've never owned a car/truck where the hoses are NOT scalding hot
after it's been running for a while...

What are the chances that the previous owner was some kind of a genius who
thought that colder is better, put in a 160* stat and then tossed a resistor
in-line w/ the temp sensor to fool the computer into thinking the engine is
running hoter then it is?