The Latest

From: Travis Bailey (dusterrt@msn.com)
Date: Sun Jan 18 2004 - 21:16:24 EST

Well I've made a little progress on the pinging situation. Dropped in 17
gallons of 93 octane! $31 later I was on the highway heading home from
school for a Dr. appt. and pulled a (record high) 16.9 MPG in fair weather
at about 75 MPH the duration of the trip. This is also after I cranked up
the torsion bars about 1.5" to level the front with the rear (looks MUCH
MUCH better!). Dropped in 10 more gallons of 93 and proceeded to run the
daylights out of it, either I'm going deaf or the pinging is gone. Next
tank (tomorrow...on the road again, just can't wait to get back on the road
again..) I think I will go back to 89 and try adding some
injector/combustion chamber cleaner and see what that does (have a vote or
two for Techron, any other suggestions? Ran a bottle of Lucas through when
I got it, and did the GM Top End Cleaner before I did the intake gaskets,
that combined with only having 38k on the clock I'm seriously doubting the
problem is carbon build up). Are you guys running regular fuel (87) in your
trucks? Mine's dead stock (well I've got a 180 stat, Moroso wires and
3923's if you count that has modified). One thing I will say is I did
notice a slight drop in idle quality when I went from my Bosch single
platinums to the Autolites. Is this from the change in heat range or the
change from the platinums to the standard style plugs (or both)? Should
have saved those to see if it pings with those and the premium...only had
about 1000 miles on em! And then there were the platinum +4's that were in
it when I got it...probably could have made two sets to sell the ricers.
Noticed no difference in performance, idle, etc over the single platinums.
But they are all in a dump, somewhere...

Travis
'92 Dak 5.2 4x4