RE: Exhaust exit options

From: Wayne Allewelt (wallewelt@mai-aec.com)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 11:16:18 EST

-----Original Message-----
Mallett, Donald B
1) Does the heat from the exhaust have any negative impact on tire life
span?
2) The wheel, dose it get coating of exhaust crud on it, like rear bumpers
do from rear exhaust?
3) Would the tone of the system change much?
4) The battle of the droning cab noise is on going, would this change much?
Any other pro or cons about this? One pro I can think of is that much less
weight from the pipes,

Don,

My only experience with exhaust pipes exiting out the side is with the show
truck that I own. The exhaust pipe exits out in front of the Driver's side
tire. On it I'm running only the cat and a dual monza tip.

1. I don't believe that the heat will have any negative effects on the tire
as long as you don't point it directly at the tire.

2. I have never seen any of the exhaust crud ever appear on the body or
tire. Remember that the only reason you ever get the exhaust build up on the
back of vehicles is because that exhaust doesn't get swept right away from
the vehicle in the back. With the exhaust exiting out the side it get blown
right away from the vehicle. I would suggest having the pipe exit either
flush with the body or a little past the body. It's usually never good to
have the exhaust exit under the vehicle because of the exhaust fumes.

3. I could help you with the tone of the system. My experience is only with
a truck with no muffler.

4. The noise in the cab will likely be louder, because it is closer to the
cab.

One of the pros is that you will have less pipe for restriction of flow.
One of the cons I noticed on my truck is with increased amount of dirt grime
that gets on the chromed exhaust tip, requiring more than regular cleaning.

Hope this helps some.

Wayne
01 QC Sport 4x4 V8
Sunny Warm Florida