Re: CB Radio

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 19:28:54 EST

on 1/20/04 9:49 AM, Michael Maskalans at dml@tepidcola.com wrote:

> seems a bit fishy, but I stand by my expirience - Cobras have failed
> (3-4 times) and two refirb Unidens in the same service haven't.

Notice the Unidens were refurbed units. IOW they failed and were returned to
the factory for repair. And, they are identical to Cobras.

Cobra has changed their units over the past several years.
The units from around 94 and back are better than the ones from between 94
and about 98. They also changed location of manufacture. the ones built in
the Phillipines are better than the Malaysian built units, but those are
better than the ones built at present.
In fact, there are many Cobra clones on the market, some using the much
older technology, some using the not so old.
My son has a Cobra 148 GTL of the Malaysian variety, I have a 148 GTL of the
Phillipine variety (with the mic jack on the L side of the unit-the "best"
one). These things kick butt, are easily modified for good, clean, reliable
power and are rock solid.
Cobras have always been pretty reliable units. The newer ones don't live up
to their older cousins' reputation, though.