Re: Slightly OT Dodge Ramcharger

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 19:25:55 EST

Bill Knight wrote:
> Barely saw a brand new Ramcharger go by me this morning. Looked lik a ram
> until it got beside me and noticed there was no seam where the cap meets the
> bed. As it went by saw the big silver letters on the lift gate that stated
> it was a Ramcharger. Thought these were not available in the american
> market. Definately was not a Durango, it was bigger and the tail lights
> were wrong. Can somebody confirm that I was not seeing things. Bill

Mexican built Dodge Ramcharger. They stopped making them in 2001 - I've
been hunting these rare things for a very long time. They are illegal
for import to the USA due to emission regulations. The mexican versions
probably have no CATs and different engine computer programming. As far
as I can tell however - they are all TWO WHEEL DRIVE models. I contacted
  D.C in Auburn(sp?) Hills MI headquarters seeing specifications and
build info... and they said they have no information on them. They told
me it was a project that was not developed in the US and the central
office doesn't keep tabs on everything they do in Mexico. The Mexico
subset of Dodge can do what it wants (within reason) seperatly from the
US market.

When I win the lottery I'll smuggle one up here convert it to 4wheel
drive and make it emission legal so the tree huggers are happy.