Re: RE: Brighter Headlights

From: Kyle Vanditmars (kylevan@telus.net)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 17:20:26 EST

RayB wrote:

> Check out "Brighter Headlights" at M.A.D. Enterprises.
> http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml
>
> As you know, Kyle, I also have a '92 and frankly I've never had a problem
> with the stock headlight performance. There's a couple tracks I go to that
> are way out in the boonies and I drive home at night on these dark two-lanes
> with no visibility issues. In fact the Dak was waaaay better than my 2K
> Jeep until I finally got around to aiming the Jeep's lights properly.
>
> Anyway, maybe the info at M.A.D. will be of some help to you.

When the road is basically pitch black, with almost no ambient light
other than the stars and moon, the headlights are adequate. However,
even on relatively dimly lit roads, the only way you can tell that the
lights (low beams, mind you) are on is that the dash is lit up. Even
though the road is lit, it's generally not enough to see "stuff" such as
pedestriants. That, and I would just like to have brighter lights.
It's not that the current ones are bad, but I want better.

Looking at the FSM, it seems the headlights aren't relay operated. Are
all relays the same (as in the amp ratings)? Can I just pop down to the
dealer, buy a couple relays, and wire this up? Basically use the
current switch to activate the relays, but where would I draw from for
the headlights, since this isn't exactly a '68 Chevy?