Re: Service Contracts - My Factory Warranty Running Out

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 11:47:09 EST

BARRY OLIVER wrote:

<start snip>
Well, I bought the $1370, 4 year/100K option on my Dak and it paid for
itself. The third option is legit, and that's how I would do it, were I
in your shoes, unless I had $1400 just burning a hole in your pocket.
The only thing to remember is that you need to be johnny on the spot
with your documentation, receipts and such, in case they question your
maintenence. AND the service contract is not a warranty, it's an
insurance plan, a discount plan, if you will. Overall it has covered
80% of the repairs I have needed. Not officially, but there are always
"associated parts, shop supplies, or some damn thing" to make up the
difference, and you will have a deductable. The $1370 plan has a $100
deductable IIRC [mine does] PER occurance. It does not matter if it's
the same issue, 2 days later. Still, even with all of that wierdness, I
still believe it's worth every penny
<end snip>

Hey Barry - I've heard that about the "you modded your truck - you
voided your contract" or "you didn't change your oil every 3,000 miles
your contract is void" bs - and that worries me. I bought this Ram
withOUT any muffler of any kind. Exhaust manifolds, y-pipe, cat
converters, straight pipe to the exhaust tip. One thing that went
through my mind is that they could possibly use this as a way to pull
the "your contract has been voided" BS. I know - obvious solution is to
put a muffler on - would help lower my chances of getting pulled over as
well.

So you say the "buy the truck loan back" plan is do-able? The only way
I would go with that is if they give me at least the same interest rate
or a lower one. As far as I can figure out - that is the only real way
they might screw me over with that sort of a deal. Is a $100 safety
inspection fee normal for that? Finance guy said its a legal obligation
that they have to do that with any vehicle they take in.