lift options & opinions - any gen

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 00:33:33 EST

On Feb 11, 2004, at 22:27, Bill Day wrote:

> I disgaurded my body
> lift idea a while back in light of the craze of SAS(Solid axle swaps)
> on the
> DAKs.

generation gap here, but it's slightly topical....

I've actually started considering a body lift, even though I'm patently
against them under most circumstances. Combined with hitch/ bumper
modification/ integration, a body lift would drastically improve
departure angle, and in my specific case it would also allow the return
of foglamps in the absence of an expensive replacement front bumper,
while keeping my frame-mounted tow hooks. They're also cheap =)

I haven't done it yet because I don't know if my tires are quite big
enough to look right with a lift, I don't want them to be looking small
until they wear out, nor do I want to take a hit on new tires.

As far as an SAS is concerned, I'm definitely interested (I'd been
hesitant until I saw this rig, and what it can do
<http://www.solidaxle.net/durango_conversion/> - I don't like some
others nearly as well), but again with the added expense of new tires
and also loosing 2 sets of rims.

I'll have axles that are ready to roll this summer, but they're 5 on
5.5" and fullsize wide. I'd also want some really deep offset rims to
keep the tires under the truck. Although if I can find 8 bolt hubs for
a D44 and an 8-3/4" so I could just run un-modded hummer rims, that
would work very well....

might anybody here be interested in my current rollers? I'd ask a fair
price when the time came - just to gauge any possible interest.

--
Michael Maskalans         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 318               '84 RamCharger 4x4 360