Re: lift options & opinions - any gen

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 12:36:18 EST

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:35:16 -0500, dml@tepidcola.com (Michael
Maskalans) wrote:
>I've actually started considering a body lift, even though I'm patently
>against them under most circumstances. Combined with hitch/ bumper
>modification/ integration, a body lift would drastically improve
>departure angle, and in my specific case it would also allow the return
>of foglamps in the absence of an expensive replacement front bumper,
>while keeping my frame-mounted tow hooks. They're also cheap =)

Yeah, the price is definitely a big factor there.

>I haven't done it yet because I don't know if my tires are quite big
>enough to look right with a lift, I don't want them to be looking small
>until they wear out, nor do I want to take a hit on new tires.

I don't remember exactly what size tires you have, but I've seen a
lifted 2000 Durango with 31x10.5x15s and it looked fine. Granted,
they didn't fill the wheel wells all the way up, but you don't really
expect that on a lifted vehicle.

I actually wish I hadn't seen that Durango.. it made me want a lift
myself. I wish that Rancho kit weren't so expensive...it's just not
practical for me.

>As far as an SAS is concerned, I'm definitely interested (I'd been
>hesitant until I saw this rig, and what it can do
><http://www.solidaxle.net/durango_conversion/> - I don't like some
>others nearly as well), but again with the added expense of new tires
>and also loosing 2 sets of rims.

That's a sweet setup. Any idea what it cost him?

Unfortunately the price of any sort of solid axle conversion would
cost so much that it *really* wouldn't be practical for me. :-/

>I'll have axles that are ready to roll this summer, but they're 5 on
>5.5" and fullsize wide. I'd also want some really deep offset rims to
>keep the tires under the truck. Although if I can find 8 bolt hubs for
>a D44 and an 8-3/4" so I could just run un-modded hummer rims, that
>would work very well....

Assuming you wouldn't have to put too much work into your tow hook
situation if you went with a body lift, it seems like a decent (and
reasonably priced) fix until you are able to do the swap.

-Bill