Re: RE: Re: race prep questions

From: Tony Cellana (acellan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 12:36:48 EST

Yes on the tonneau helping the aero. If you have a LIGHT weight one, leave
it on. In my case, my fiberglass hard tonneau weighs in a a fat 90 lbs.

If the tire pressure is too low, you will "roll" the tire. Basically this
is a buckling of the tread. In the past, running my RC 98 5.2 5spd Sport,
I found the following as a good numbers to start from. 28x9.5x15 Slicks
10-11psi, 26x10.5x15 ET Streets 12-14psi, 26x11.5x15 ET Streets 11-13psi,
28x12.5x15 ET Streets 11-12psi.

Yes those suggestions are based on launching my 99 R/T (auto). For a 5spd,
launch high enough that you don't bog the motor. If you have slicks or
such, AND an upgraded clutch, you can go quite a bit higher. I was running
28x9.5 Slicks and a Centerforce Duo-Friction, and launching at 4500. I
actually dragged the hitch receiver on the track. This ultimately ended up
as bent front segments on BOTH springs one night where the traction was
phenomenal. In the end, I added a leaf to each side to bridge the weak spot
on the top leaf, and added CalTracs.

Getting much below a 2.2 60' in a 5spd is near impossible as you are
shifting if you start in 1st.

Good luck.
TonyC