Re: R/T wheels for my 95?

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Feb 18 2004 - 01:37:27 EST

On Feb 18, 2004, at 12:59 AM, Justin Sanders wrote:

> I was wondering if these R/T wheels will fit my 95 dakota. I'll
> probably answer my own question becuase I know the bolt pattern seems
> the same. But they always say 97-02 and that makes me nervouse!! is
> the spacing off?
>
> Also would it look dumb to have those rims on my truck? so anyone
> have pictures? If not ill just photoshop the rims in to see... I know
> all you R/T fan boys will say "You don't have an R/T so you can't have
> the wheels!" well get over it.. they seem perfect for racing becuz
> I've looked all over and to my dissapointment there isnt much
> selection. and 17x9 and weights about 28lbs is what i've been looking
> for. unless theres anything lighter?
>
> oh yeah hers the link
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
> ViewItem&category=43957&item=2460138452
> anything cheaper as well?
>
> Justin Sanders
> 95 Dak SLt 318
> and all that other good stuff =P
>
> P.S. if this has been discussed before I'm sorry I'm new

> Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special
> Offer! http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

They can be made to fit using spacers and lug nuts with a shank on
them. The spacers need to be 1/4" thick and you will have to have them
custom made. They can be made to fit without spacers but that requires
grinding down the upper a-arms for clearance and you will not be able
to use the center cap. I suppose if you bought 1/2" spacers and used
longer studs that would work too and still not push the wheels out too
far.

I run the stock r/t size tire but that required a little massaging the
inside of the wheel well down toward the bottom closest to the cab to
keep the tires form rubbing.

I am seriously considering running a slightly smaller tire to both
resolve the slight rub at the on the frame (very minor) but to mainly
save cost. I don't remember what size tire the tire shop came up with
but it was only a hair more than an 1/8" shorter in height to the r/t
tires (you couldn't notice it) and about 2/8's" difference in width.
Again, almost impossible to notice. The beauty was it was a more common
size tire and half the cost of the stock r/t size tire.

The spacers will not be cheap to have made but are not that bad. I was
quoted around $35 ea. in billet if I chose to have them remade (mine
are currently plate steel that are zinc coated). Don't run the cheap
spacers the tire shop will sell you since they are not big enough to
give a complete contact area and will cause vibration. the place that
quoted the spacers for me was Crowe Automotive in SoCal. I don't have
their website handy but do a search and you will find them. If you want
a couple of pictures I took a few years ago of what they look like on a
Gen II email me and I will send them over. I don't have any current
pics due to the truck is starting to become a project truck but maybe
later on.

Hope that long blurb helps you out.

Jeff Durling