Re: OT - NVT geek question about scanners

From: Aaron Wyse (awyse@sw.rr.com)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 20:18:08 EST

    Generally, The higher priced models will be built for longevity.. Like
an office that would be scanning things on a regular basis. They'll often
have little bells & whistles added.. Negative & slide scanners, document
feeder for multiple pages; and the more expensive models will usually scan
faster as well.
    I've grown partial to the Visioneer scanners or at least the models that
will come bundled with the Visioneer software. I've often recommended that
to customers that are looking for user friendly as well as capability. I've
sold a couple of thousand Visioneers with very few complains, HP, Canon, and
Epson are all probably built better.. But then again.. you need to consider
the cost difference and how fast technology advances.. If for 1/5 the cost
you get a scanner that will give you results you'll be happy with and last
well into obsolecence; you'll be money ahead when you decide to upgrade.. If
you spend high $$ on one.. You'll be more prone to try and use it long after
you're wanting to replace it anyway. If you need the extra speed or
durability; the money is well spent, ortherwise.. it's simply just spent.
Just my $.02 worth
Aaron Wyse