Re: more power an better mileage???

From: Jon N. Benignus (blkwidow1@primary.net)
Date: Thu Feb 19 2004 - 19:33:05 EST

on 2/19/04 8:06 AM, Pindell, Timothy at TPindell@OTTERBEIN.EDU wrote:

> When I was a private pilot student at THE Ohio State University, there would
> regularly several people per day coming in for avgas for racing during the
> summer. It's cheaper than the 76 or Sunoco at the track. Keep in mind that
> it's leaded, 100/130 octane (depending on the test they use), and it's
> tinted blue. You don't want to use the pink stuff. It's 80 octane and
> rarely used in modern engines.

You don't want to use avgas in an automobile engine. Especially one driven
on the street. One, the vapor point is different. It is designed for an
engine that is run at low rpm, and at a constant rpm at that. Auto engines
need easy starting at all temps, high vapor point to prevent vapor lock, and
an auto engine varies rpm over a much wider range and runs at higher rpm.
It needs to burn quickly enough at high rpm, yet have high anti-knock
capabilities. Aircraft engines turn a steady 2400 rpm, rev slowly and have
maybe 8.5:1 compression. Avgas is designed to run clean in these conditions.
It can't operate properly in auto engines with compression ratios exceeding
11:1 and running 3x the rpm. Plus, in aviation engines the a/f mixture is
adjustable. Avgas has a different specific gravity and will not meter the
same in auto fuel systems.
Plus 100/130 avgas is LEADED.
Want high perf auto fuel? Buy it.
And I deal with 800 hp racing engines. You will make more power, more
reliably in an auto engine with mogas.
Now, the 80 octane IS mogas, but it is also leaded, and your aircraft must
be certificated to be run on such.
Plainly stated, avgas is not designed to be run in auto engines.

A few cents saved on fuel can cost many dollars in engine repair later.

Jon
STL MO