Re: Legit Tuning Thread Was: Re: Used MP PCM

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 01:44:21 EST

On Feb 19, 2004, at 23:14, Peter Grace wrote:

> Does that mean to say you're not a fan of the trans-go kit? The
> trans-go kit shows all these washers and gaskets and such which lead me
> to believe it's a hardware kit -- or is it?

definitely a hardware kit.
replaces some springs, makes some mods to (holes in) the valve body.

if you're an ambitious shadetree who can read directions, you can do
it. just pick up a t-25 for your 1/4" drive - it speeds things up a
lot.

I've been real pleased with my results (and this is definitely the
deepest I've ever gone into my truck). though I still need to back out
my TV cable a bit to calm down my shift points. great for power, but
they're definitely why I get 12 MPG around town no matter what. with
the new tires, I don't get third until I crest about 42MPH at 2500.
heh.

> It only slips like that when I'm power accelerating, my guess is I'm
> just pushing the little guy too hard sometimes.

slipping is generally a bad thing..... get your bands adjusted and
hope it goes away. don't bother throwing a shift kit at a trans that
might not be in good shape.

adjusting the bands, changing the lube and filter aren't too bad,
either. but of course they are 1/2 step from starting on a shift kit.
you need to drop the trans pan, which can (will) be a bit of a mess,
but again, for a decent shadetree, nothing to be scared of.

> I've recently gotten
> into the habit of switching off OD on the fly when I'm on seriously
> steep hills - is that a good or a bad idea?

if it's not in the gear you want it to be in, put it in the gear you
want it to be in. no problem there.

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech