Re: Contaminated oil

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Feb 20 2004 - 11:06:15 EST

"Gary Hedlin" <ghedlin@theramp.net> wrote in message

> Then why not crank the engine over a few times after you've filled the oil
> back up??? Seems that would be an easy solution rather than starting it
> dry.
> --
> Gary Hedlin

I still fail to see the potential benefits of this activity. What will be
gained by squeezing those 3 extra drops of oil out of it? Like Jon stated,
I think the best alternative would be to just change the contaminated oil
out, let it run for a little bit and then change it again. If you're really
neurotic about it and just have to have absolutely every drop of oil
changed, then you could do it a third time. By my line of thinking, you'll
probably be fine with just the second change though. If it really really
bothers you, you might look into getting one of those chemical flushes done
(like what Jason did) and call it a day.

Oil contamination happens every day, every time you drive your vehicle. The
best defense you have against it is to check your oil, keep it topped off,
and change it at regular intervals. If you see anything weird come out of
the pan, then you should investigate. Personally, I drain my oil through a
fine mesh strainer so that if anything weird comes out I'll see it in the
end, and that's good enough for me.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L