Re: RE: Brake Line HELP!

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 22:01:09 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> : You might end up having to bend them up after all!
>

> On a related topic - would it be a bad thing to replace the
> hard lines with flexible? (Rubber or braided stainless) I'm
> guessing the hard lines are used because they are less susceptible
> to wear? Obviously, flexible lines are used at the wheels
> themselves - is there a good reason not to use flexible lines
> for a longer run? Is this a cost savings measure by the
> manufacturers or a safety issue?

I would imagine it's more of a safety issue Jon - for the same reason
fuel lines are mostly metal or plastic vs rubber. Rubber, as we all
know, has only so much life to it. Metal break lines will last
significantly longer than rubber parts and are more resistant to
puncture and damage than flexible hoses.

Pre-bent brake lines are not going to be easy to find, if at all. I'll
tell you the same thing I tell my customers... no way to "look up" brake
line. Need to know the line size and length. Majority of auto parts
stores will have metal tube benders. They make the job of shaping the
lines much easier. You do not need to have the brake lines bent to fit
the old ones exactly. Just close enough so they can be routed where
they need to go - without being in danger of damage from suspension
parts, road hazards etc. You might have to flare the lines as well - or
use unions. Brake lines rank as one of the things I hate working on the
most. Fuel systems, and electrical are the other two.

DO NOT USE COMPRESSION FITTINGS!

Compression fittings on brake lines are *ILLEGAL* and *DANGEROUS* - they
cannot withstand the pressure of these hydraulic systems.