Re: Rancho 3" Kit

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 14:31:47 EST

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:24:35 -0500, dml@bleazard.net (Jason Bleazard)
wrote:
>Just a guess here, but I have noticed that Durangos sit lower than
>Dakotas do from the factory, presumably to make it easier for the soccer
>moms to get in and out. Go park next to one and you'll see what I
>mean. From what I've seen, it's at least an inch difference. So I'm
>guessing that adding 3" to a stock Durango won't make it as high as
>adding the same amount to a Dakota. Unless the Rancho kit is the kind
>that's supposed to raise both models to the same height, effectively
>adding 3" to a Dak or 4" to a Durango. I'm not sure how it's set up.

Yeah, it's got to sit lower. The 4x4 Dak has the springs over the
axle (in the rear, that is) and the 4x4 Durango (all Durangos
actually) have the springs under the axle. That makes the back end
sit lower, so they obviously had to make the front end sit a bit lower
to balance it out.

I'm guessing that's why he had the problems. I've looked at the
durango he's talking about and it's pretty believable.

-Bill