408 Oil Pressure question

From: Tim Berry (coolva1@cox.net)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 07:03:30 EST

I have about 3000 miles on my 408, used the thin oil for 500 miles on break
in, then switched to 15w50 Mobil 1 after that. I would see 80PSI cold at
1500+ using that on the first oil change...
I changed the oil again at 2000 miles using the same oil, and watched the
oil pressure yet again... (I didn't watch it much after I changed it last
time) and now, cold weather will see a max of 70PSI at 1500-2000, operating
temps I see 15-20PSI at idle, and it tops out at 45-50 under no load. Once
the engine is under a load (same rpms, such as pressing throttle to 1/2
while the converter is locked in OD) it will drop 10PSI to 38-40PSI... all
the way to 6000RPMs...

I would like to see what advice everyone recommends for me to check... I
replaced the oil filter at 800 miles on this oil change with a Mobil 1
filter and cut the fram open and saw no signs of metal flakes. The oil pump
is a new Melling HV pump that was installed in the motor when rebuilt......
so I'm at a loss...

I have no noise in the motor, it does not seem to burn oil, no gas smell in
the oil, etc... and it still sets the truck sideways in 2nd gear at any RPM
with only 8-9PSI of boost...

if anyone has any ideas... please let me know!!

Tim Berry - Chesapeake, VA
97 CC SLT - 408/46RE