Re: PIAA Xtreme White Was: Silver Stars

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sun Feb 29 2004 - 14:49:06 EST

At 09:36 AM 2/29/2004, you wrote:
>Holy hell Bill, you ain't lyin! I did mine yesterday
>with the Silver stars. The service manual didn't
>really point out where the bolts were. And once I
>found them, what a pain to get that bottom one off!
>Plus I had to loosen my front grill so I could get the
>assembly out!

To get it out, you've got to disconnect the bottom bulb. When I did the
second one, I just rotated it without fully taking it out... much easier
than trying to get it back in there again.

I'm hoping that Bernd will be able to enlighten me on the procedure for
changing the bulb without taking anything apart in case I ever have to
change them again... :-)

>Why in the world do they use those stupid star screws
>for adustment? I stripped the head on one without even
>trying. Do they have some kind of aversion to philips?

Well, sort of. They don't want the home garage mechanic trying to adjust
headlamps. Poorly aligned headlamps can be worse for the oncoming traffic
than leaving your high beams on.

>Well, anyway, got it all back together again. I like
>the brighter light. Not sure how the oncoming traffic
>will, but that's their problem. :)

Same thing I thought... My next step is to find some good replacement
foglight bulbs. I don't really use them often (doesn't get foggy here very
often, at least not during hours when I drive) but I'd like to have some
extra bright lights for off-road use.

-Bill