Re: Brake time

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 14:28:06 EST

BARRY OLIVER wrote:

> Well, after 94,000 dirty but otherwise troublefree miles, it's time
to > do brakes on the dak ['99, 4x4, 318]. After a search of the
archives, > it seems that we spend more time OT on brake threads than
talking about brakes. So, I have a couple of specific questions:

> To the guy(s) that are using the JCW drilled/slotted rotors, do you
> like them and what pads are you using?

I have the JCW drilled + slotted discs on Christine. They went on
because I have always had glazing problems with both of the Silver89's.
  I attribute this to my foot in the water pump style driving. Combine
that with stop and go Chicago traffic, and they were constantly
overheating. I put only 13,000 miles on those discs because the truck
seems to have issues with staying in good mechanical shape *cough*. I
would buy them again definatly. They grabbed better and I had to work
hard to get them to get hot enough to squeal.

>What is the verdict on Ceramic pads, how clean/dirty are they, do they
>stop well, are they quiet?

The pads I used were the higher quality NAPA brand pads - put them on
back in June 2002 before the 4th BBQ. Like the rotors, only have 13k
miles on them so I can't give a recommendation. From what I know about
the pads we sell at work, either a carbon metallic pad or a ceramic pad
will yeild less dust and better power. Pad wear vs. rotor wear depends
on the pads more or less. I would rather use a ceramic pad and replace
them more frequently than have to change rotors. Cheaper to have a
rotor resurfaced than have to replace it.

> My goal is to retain at least the stock level of stopping power, with
> less dust. More stopping power would be great, but isn't really
>necessary, as I stop pretty well now, stock. BTW my stock pads and
>rotors lasted 65,000 miles at least [they were replaced at some point
>before I got the truck at 28k miles]

I'm going to pull the wheels on the Ram and check the brakes soon myself
so I'm going over the same things you are - what do I do for new parts.
I changed my oil and looked at the rotors and saw they were starting to
get cut in pretty good. If JCW sells drilled/slotted rotors for the
Ram, I'll get em -- rotors through work will run me $65 each!