Re: RE: Brake time

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 13:48:23 EST

""Rick Barnes"" <barnesrv@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Interesting timing Barry, I have the Power Slots on my 98 5.2 2WD, and had
> the Hawk pads when I first got the rotors. The Hawks stopped much better
> than stock, but wore out after about 30k miles and I switched to the
> Raybestos Plus PG pads, but after about 20k miles, I have warped my Power
> Slots as I feel a pulse and it hops around under braking. The Raybestos
did
> seem to stop better than the Hawks though, so I was pleased with that. I
> have not had any incident where I really jammed on my brakes to have
> overheated the rotors and always carefully torque my wheels on, but I now
> need to have the rotors turned and new pads. I think I may try those
Green
> pads that someone mentioned on the DML. I am also going to replace my
> calipers and may look for stainless lines as well.
> I welcome any thoughts along with Barry.
>
> Rascal

Sorry to hear that you only gotg 50k out of the powerslots. I hope I can
get more than that out of mine. I've heard that the EBC Green Stuff pads
are nice, but that they won't stand up to a slotted rotor, so you might want
to check into that before purchasing a pair.

Why are you replacing your calipers? I could see doing the lines and
switching to SS lines, but I'd have a hard time replacing the calipers if
there wasn't any issues with them. When I last did my brakes, I rebuilt
mine and upgraded from the plastic pistons to metal ones and that improved
performance, perhaps you could just rebuild them? You get the same benefits
as replacing but at a lower price, and taking into consideration that your'e
a retired mechanic, you could probably bust the job out in a relatively
short time.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L