Re: RE: Brake time

From: raymond.irons@gm.com
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 06:20:14 EST

$109 for ceramic pads at AZ? I just checked their website and they don't
even list the Morse Ceramic pads for your truck (99, 318, 4x4) but they do
list the PFC carbon metallic pads for under $50. I've changed the front
brakes on my 98 twice in the last 100K miles since I've owned it. The first
time at 50K I put on the standard AZ lifetime warranty Albany semi metallic
pads and was not happy about the copious amounts of dust I got all over my
rims. At 100K miles I changed them out again and switched to the PFC carbon
metallic pads (still with a lifetime warranty) and I've been very pleased
with them. One thing I did that I believes helps with brake noise is to use
the disc brake quiet from CRC when I installed the new pads. I deviated
from the directions slightly as I put the goop on the pads but left them
sitting on the kitchen counter to set up while I removed the old pads and
got everything cleaned up, inspected and ready for re-assembly. By that
time the goop had set up enough to let me install the pads with relatively
little mess. As a side note, I installed new shocks on the Dak this past
weekend and since I had the front wheels off, I took the opportunity to
inspect the front brakes. It's been nearly 19K miles since I installed the
PFC pads and they appear to have about 2/3 of the original pad material
left. Both sides are wearing evenly so that makes me happy. When they do
wear out I will be replacing them with another set of the PFC's.

Ray Irons
Dover, DE