RE: All this trans talk has gotten me thinking.....

From: greg conner (dodgeboy93@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 00:59:14 EST

Easy swap as long as the auto crank has provisions for the pilot bearing.
I've heard some do and some dont. I have a v6 from infront of an auto left
over from a 318 swap at a buddys shop. I'll pull the convertor and take a
look. Another thing would be to call a shop like autozone that sells reman
cranks and see if the auto/manual is listed as different.

All the wiring will work. The only two connections you need for the manual
trans (speedo, reverse lights) are allready there from the auto. The rest
of the left over auto wires can just be taped up and stuck out of the way.
I just went to the boneyard and scored the brake pedal/clutch pedal bracket,
both pedals, and the whole hydrolic system. They will all bolt right in
place. As far as the neutral safety switch goes, its just a switch under
the clutch pedal that grounds the starter relay when its depressed. Instead
of rewiering everything i just grounded the relay and did away with the
switch all together.

The pcm will need to be changed in your 2000 to a manuel one. Otherwise the
pcm will trip a MIL when it doesnt see the auto trans there.

The driveshaft as well as the trans mount are also different. the
crossmembers are the same though.....

only other thing thats different off the top of my head is the crank
position sensor, the auto and manuel ones are different lengths.

Greg Conner
1996 RC
3.9 hybrid

>From: "Josh Battles" <jbattles@bankfinancial.com>
>To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
>Subject: DML: All this trans talk has gotten me thinking.....
>Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:58:49 -0600
>
>I've been steadily noticing that my trans's performance has been taking a
>downhill creep over the past few months and the thread that David started
>has piqued my curiosity.
>
>We all know that I drive a 2000 CC with the 3.9L, and that in 2001, dodge
>stopped using the AX-15 and gave everyone the NV3500.
>
>My question to you is, what would be required to swap from an automatic
>trans to a manual???
>
>This is what I was thinking:
>1. Obviously, the Trans
>2. Clutch mechanism (pedals, master cylinder, etc...)
>3. Shifter, and all the interior stuff
>4. Flywheel for 3.9L
>
>Would the driveshaft need to be modified, and/or the transmission mount
>need
>to be changed?
>
>I could probably get all this stuff out of a boneyard truck and just
>rebuild
>the trans. I was thinking that based on the prices I've found for the new
>transmissions ranging from $850 - $1350 I could do this swap for less than
>$1500, which is less than what it'd cost for the APS trans that I'd want to
>replace the 42RE I've got now with.
>
>Any thoughts/ideas?
>
>--
>- Josh
>Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L
>www.geocities.com/lenny187/dakota.html
>www.omg-stfu.com

Get business advice and resources to improve your work life, from bCentral.
http://special.msn.com/bcentral/loudclear.armx