Re: RE: Toronto Performance World (update)

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 20:15:24 EST

On Mar 5, 2004, at 17:32, Norah Bleazard wrote:

> Hey guys, I just got a phone call from Mike. He won't be showing up
> tonight or tomorrow to Performance World. Seems he's run into a little
> trouble with his truck and is off to get it looked at. I'm not sure
> of the
> details of his problem other than something to do with his transfer
> case.
> Let's hope he can get it fixed without costing too much money :-(

well it was pretty clear what was going on to me. picked up a familar
vibration in a different place than the last time on my way from lunch
back to campus. the rearmost ujoint puked a cap, and the driveshaft
hoop did it's job in keeping things off the pavement until I stopped.

I put it in 4wd and had a bit of trouble clawing up the curb with only
the front wheels turning.

then I pulled the shaft, threw it in the bed and turned around to go
back to advance auto where I'd stopped before lunch to see if they had
a ujoint for me. they didn't, but their location right across the
river from campus did. so I did a duct tape job on my tailshaft
housing to at least try keeping some fluid in my transfer case and went
to pick it up.

I got back to campus at about 1830, and no one was at the mini baja
shop, so my good vice options were locked up for the week (yeah, week:
spring break and none of us are sticking around, and I don't have
anyone's phone# who has keys to the shop). the wimpy-assed little vice
on the workbench at work was a miserable failure in pressing the caps.
it was a kludge of a setup since the vice isn't big enough, but it
didn't work, in any case. I was able to exert a very decent amount of
pressure, but they're really rusted in there seeing as it's the
original joint... I need a BIG vice on a SOILD bench with a cheater, I
think.

Hopefully I can find one tomorrow =)
hopefully this won't impede the week's plans - if all else fails my
boss offered to take a Sears run with me since he's going to be down in
Rochester tomorrow

I'll keep all yall posted

--
Michael Maskalans         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 318               '84 RamCharger 4x4 360