Re: RE: Toronto Performance World (update)

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 01:53:26 EST

a message waiting to be sent since about 5 minutes after the domain
went cold....

On Mar 5, 2004, at 20:15, Michael Maskalans wrote:

> I'll keep all yall posted

huzzah! I got the keys to the Baja shop, and just came back from
pressing out the old caps. that took a fucking act of god! I was
using a cheater about 2.5' long, bending the vice handle, and not
getting anywhere. I'd oiled the seams about 4 hours before, but it
didn't seem to have much effect. then I spied a BIG hammer that said,
"use me with the BIG vice, and we'll make things happen!" so I did, and
they did.

First I tried tapping opposite the gripping faces on the yoke, and that
did nothing. Then I got out my [wimpy] butane torch (no propane torch
in the shop, and I didn't really want to start locally melting it with
the TIG - though I got as far as turning it on before I remembered my
little butane). after it was as hot as it was going to get, I tried
cranking on the vice a hair more, but no result. Then I thought to
smack the head of the vice with the hammer - after the *second* very
hard strike with this probably 2# hammer (with a 20" handle) it broke
loose and moved a quarter inch!

I had to give it 3-4 more tighten-and-smack sessions to get that first
cap worked out, and then I had to back that opposing cap out. I
sprayed it down and it took just as much work as the first direction
did.

so then I got my new cross out of it's box, and figured out how I was
going to press it in. I got it lined up, and slipped the first cap
into the yoke on the driveshaft.... and then all the way through the
yoke and onto the cross. wrong u-joint!

so tomorrow morning I'll start out by putting some fluid in my t-case,
and then I'll head back over to advance auto and see what they have to
say - this time with the old parts in hand.

boy I'm glad I got those shop keys tonight!

<http://tinyurl.com/3aa9z>

--
Michael Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/>
ClassTech Consultant  -  ITS Printer Tech  -  ITS Lab Tech