Re: Towing question...

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 11:43:24 EST

At 12:29 AM 3/13/2004, you wrote:
>First off, the optional gear is 3.92, not 4.10. 4.10 is optional for my 2500,
>which comes with 3.73 standard. If you go to the Dodge site, there's a towing
>calculator you can use, it's pretty cool. Also keep in mind the trailer DRY
>and WET weights, with all options, personal gear, etc. To play it safe, a
>trailer I'm looking at has a max allowed weight (GVW) of 7500lbs, dry is
>5500lbs,
>so I know for sure, even with all the goodies added, I'm still safe, waaaay
>safe of my 10k lb towing capability. About changing rear gears, unless you
>have
>the special tools to set up a rear end, don't do it, let a good shop set
>it up,
>and if you do that, you can get 4.10 gears from the aftermarket which will
>make your around town driving more fun, better take off, etc, but you'll
>give up
>a little mpg on the highway due to the higher rpm's. If you're towing, it
>will take off nicer with the lower gears. Wait, I'm rambling, it's late,
>I'm off
>to bed..............

Don -

 From what I've heard (on the list and elsewhere), towing will not be very
pleasant with the 3.55 gears.

You could definitely swap your 3.55 out for 3.92. Since you've got a 4x2,
you can also swap to 4.10 if you want. The hard part with swapping gears
on newer 4x4s to non-stock ratios is that they use the Chrysler 205F front
axle. There isn't much in the way of replacement gears (or lockers, etc.)
for this axle. Or at least there wasn't when I was casually looking around
a few months back. On the other hand, there are tons of aftermarket parts
(including 4.10 gears) available for the 9.25" and 8.75" rear-ends as they
have been around for a long time.

If you were going to pay for a swap at all and you think you're really
going to be towing a lot, swapping to a 4.10 ratio would probably be worth
the hit in gas mileage.

My truck (see below) tows my 4000-4500 lb. boat trailer without any problem
at all.

-Bill

--
Bill Pitz <dakota@billpitz.com> - Penngrove, CA  USA