Re: More Tire Talk

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Sat Mar 13 2004 - 15:24:30 EST

At 09:07 AM 3/13/2004, you wrote:

>Well I have finally boiled down my options for replacement tires for the
>Ram and here is what I have come up with. Keep the stock 17 wheels and go
>with BFG AT's in 315/70R17 ... for a cost of $154 per tire - or - pick up
>a set of 16 inch wheels and go with Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's in
>285/75R16D sneaker size - for a cost of $155 per tire + cost of the rims.
>(tire prices are from tirerack.com) Tirerack lists a 285/70/17 BFG AT -
>but at $182 a tire ==:O Bigger is cheaper? LOL
>
>Never used either brands before and thought I would get some opinions.
>Tirerack's reviews of both tires are very good - the Revos scored higher
>across the board than the BFG AT's however. I gotta do something fast -
>these Badyear MT/R's are .... real bad.

I've been really happy with my BFG AT's. Likewise, I've heard nothing but
praise for the Dueler AT Revos. I will be considering both and thinking
long and hard about it before I buy my next set of tires. (Fortunately,
that's going to be a while still..)

Anyway, if I were in your shoes, I'd be thinking more about the rims. If
you like your current 17" rims (I'm sure that size looks nice...), then go
with what fits on those rims. If you find something in 16" that you like a
lot, then get those and go with the Duelers.

IMHO, your tire choices are narrowed down to two of the very best general
all terrain tires around.

That wasn't really much help, was it? ;)

-Bill

--
Bill Pitz <dakota@billpitz.com> - Penngrove, CA  USA
2000 Dakota CC SLT+ 4x4 4.7L 3.92LSD