Re: Fuel Pump Replacement

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 12:58:49 EST

Wisotzkey, Rich wrote:
> Hey Ray,
> Didn't you need to disconnect some wiring somewhere?
> Rich - Ashburn, VA
>

> Removing the bed is no big deal. Six bolts as I recall plus disconnecting
> the fuel filler tube. Just needs to slide back a few feet. May have to be
> lifted a little to clear the tire but my wife and I did mine with no
> problem.
>
> The sending unit is available separately from the dealer but may also come
> attached to a new fuel pump.
>
> RayB

>> My plan was to replace the sending unit as well, but I was assuming the
>>sending unit was a part of the fuel pump assembly. Is that not correct?
>> This is the part number (Napa/Carter) that I was looking at.
>>Let me know
>>if this is what I want, or if I want something in addition to
>>this. Item#:
>>NFPP74675M
>> I guess I'll try to remove the bed if it really is that much
>>easier. Is
>>there anything I should know about removing the bed?
>>Thanks again for the help.
>>--Aaron--

Fuel pump + strainer are installed in the sending unit assembly. I dont
think the sending unit is sold seperatly from the rest of the assembly.
   Its pretty much one peice.

To pull the bed is much easier (ask me how I know - I've done it three
times to service the fuel fump/tank) 6 bolts for the bed - soak them in
nutbuster (PB-Blaster) for a good day or so before you try to unbolt it.
  You will have to undo the chassis ground cable (goes bolts between the
cab and the bed), the two connectors for the left and right tail lights
- licence plate bulb wire harness should be run through the frame and
shouldnt be in the way when the bed is pulled. Fuel fuller neck is easy
to undo. Don't bother trying to pull the hose out of the tank first.
Undo the neck at the bed.

Take a look at the condition of the fuel in the tank while you're there.
   Wouldnt hurt to siphon the tank and wipe it clean and dry while you
have the bed off (if there is anything in the bottom that warrants a
cleaning - water, dirt etc). Also will give you a chance to inspect
your fuel lines. I discovered one of my lines coming off the pump
assembly, had rotted through so I replaced it. Also - (at least on my
truck) there is a baffle the pump sits in - that fits down inside a
coupel of tabs on the bottom of the tank. Gotta make sure you get that
set in place properly. I made that mistake at the BBQ and that baffle
came loose and was rolling around in the tank.

Cant think of anything else!

"Why don't you ask me what it feels like to be a freak?"