Re: about that new ram I'm dreaming of

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 11:19:06 EST

On Mar 18, 2004, at 01:30, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
> [...]
> : Time to start keeping a far closer eye on Ebay for something similar
> : under 150k miles in very good condition for a more realistic price.
> : but they hold resale like a sonofabitch! Jon, now I know what you
> went
> : through looking for your tow rig!
>

> Yes indeed! :-) There seems to be around 20-50 CTDs
> on Ebay at any given time, but unfortunately most of 'em are
> in Texas!

yeah. I can't believe the percentage of used heavy duty pickups that
are in texas. And most of them look like they've served heavy towing
duty, so is it just that all the hotshot drivers live in TX? Then of
course there are the work trucks that look like they were beat to death
on the oilfields <http://tinyurl.com/3yfhz> (which I must admit I
absolutely love on some level, but would NEVER buy without a *very*
thorough inspection, and a line on a new bed), and the ranch hand
flatbeds with one owner and 400k on the clock, but with immaculate cabs
and worn out seats <http://tinyurl.com/2uwqs>.

> Even though I am happy with my
> truck, I did end up settling for an automatic over the stick,
> and 2wd over 4wd

I'm planning on this truck to replace the Dakota as a daily driver, so
no settling for me. Unless I end up not finding a decent paying job
and thus pushing this off for a couple years so the '04.5+ Cummins 600s
are on the used market, I think I'll probably go new. regardless of
being quieter (BOOO!), I like a warranted powerhouse.

> the only other thing that I am somewhat less
> than enthused about is the 4.10 rear. Sure, it'll tow your house
> down the road at idle, but on the highway, I'm really only
> comfortable cruising at speeds up to about 70mph.

I'd been wondering about that... I was thinking 4.10 just 'cause I
plan to tow with it a lot - but I think along gasser terms.

However if I swap in BFG M/Ts in 35x12.5-17 (which isn't unlikey) that
would turn a 4.10 into a 3.73 as compared to the stock rubber (exactly,
using sidewall sizes for the stock treads, in fact). so I think I'll
still aim for a 4.10 set - but 3.73s would definitely not be a
deal-breaker, then. thanks for the info =)

--
Mike Maskalans            <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
84 RamCharger 360 (parked)         98 Dakota CC 318 (Fixed!)