Re: RE: Gas prices

From: BARRY OLIVER (DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 10:49:02 EST

on 3/19/04 2:47 PM, BARRY OLIVER at DHSPA58@dhs.state.il.us wrote:

> You still aren't understanding my point. IT'S NOT THE PRICE. IT'S
THE
> GARBAGE STORIES THAT ARE PURPORTED AS NEWS TO JUSTIFY WHAT
ESSENTIALLY
> IS PROFITEERING.

>>> blkwidow1@primary.net 03/19/04 10:49PM >>>

It's Economics 101. Don't like the price? Don't spend your money.

...ECONOMICS 101-companies are allowed to charge what ever price they
want for
their products. If the customers are willing to pay it, they will
charge it.
That is true in all businesses. Why do people get up in arms over oil
companies? People act like gasoline should flow like rivers and be
there for
the taking. Yet, they will pay $5 for a six pack of Budweiser. And be
happy.

We have a free enterprise system. And it works if left alone.

Black Jack. Checkmate.

*SIGH* I suppose if you had actually been reading my posts for content
instead of keywords, you would realize that you just made my point for
me. One last time, and I promise I'll stop, successful or not.

I am not complaining about the aggregate price of gas, rising over
time.

I am complaining about oil companies blaming every stupid thing that
happens or just is, for increases in the price of gas, instead of
admitting the true motive, profit. I don't care that gas is $1.68, I
care that it's $1.68 here and $1.48 two towns away, with no legitimate
reason for the difference other than some nebulous mumbling about the
possibility of a "different formulation" or some other nonsense. And
that line about "willing to pay" that's asinine logic. It's
essentially a monopoly, where else are you going to get gasoline? If
you don't want to pay the power company, you can put up solar panels or
something, but there's no even remotely practical substitute for
gasoline, and it's not like you can set up a well in your back yard, and
pump gas...

Again, let me state, what I am railing against is the manner in which
gas prices fluctuate and the "after the fact" made-up excuses and
propaganda that is presented as if it is legitimate, factual news. It's
the atrificial "big jump up, slow trickle down" cycle that bothers me.
If *any* of the so-called reasons for the dramatic price increases were
valid, then, there would be more consistancy across the board. Yeah,
there would be some areas that are consistantly higher due to local
market conditions, but if oil goes up $1 a barrel, every place should
see roughly the same increase, rather than the hodgepodge of pricing we
have.

I have participated in this discussion about 4 Emails too far, I am
done. My sincerest apologies to the remainder of the list, I shal try
to better restrain myself in the future.