Re: 3.9 Engine blocks ?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 01:17:43 EST

ronald bruce taylor,jr wrote:
> The block has been checked for cracks, I asked what it needed done to make
> it useable and all it basically needed was the mains align bore honed,
> punched .020-.030, and decked .010 to square it up.
>
> It has the mounting bosses cast in it that are similar to the ones on my
> 3.9, I'm just curious as to what makes the difference between the Pre-Magnum
> and Magnum cylinder casing castings?
>
> I'm going back later this week to check it further and see if I can find the
> casting Date on it..........
>
> Ron-
> 01'Dakota Sport 3.9 4WD
> www.scsilverdak.1colony.com

Magnum heads won't fit on premagnum motors and vise versa. I believe
the differences are semi-subtle. Bolt patterns, water passages etc...
stuff doesnt line up between the premags and magnums from what I
understand. Thats why you never hear of anyone putting magnum
production heads on a premag block. The heads also use different bolt
patterns for the intake manifold. Premag intake manifolds bolts are at
an angle and at different positions - magnums are horizontal and more
uniformed in pattern.

The blocks all should accept the same motor mounts between premag and
magnum. That is pretty standard between 3.9, 5.2, and 5.9 engines. As
long as you can determine if the 3.9 core you have is 92 or newer, you
should be able to use it. I *think* 91 Daks had magnum 3.9's - I know
they had premag 5.2s.

"Why don't you ask me what it feels like to be a freak?"