Re: Ceramic coating of headers.

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 11:41:05 EDT

At 07:25 AM 4/13/04, you wrote:
>Pro's - Will last many many more years than non coated headers. Keeps the
>under
>hood heat down. Because they do not transfer heat as quickly, in theory
>anyway,
>the gas velocity stays higher and will improve power.

I would like to hear comments/opinions on this from anyone with ceramic coated
headers. I ask because my experience is that my ceramic coated headers
dissipate heat a lot quicker than the stock exhaust manifolds. Typically,
I can
touch the headers about 5 minutes after a run with my bare hand without getting
burnt. I would not try this with the stock manifolds. If memory serves me
correctly, I recall that the stock manifolds were still too hot to touch
with a bare
hand even some 20 minutes after a run. This is done during cool down with
the hood open.

I have had my ceramic coated headers since 98 ... from Leach on the west coast
... opted to have him send it out to whoever he used for the "black"
coating ...
still looks like the day they arrived :-)

Bob