Who knows about 42RE transmissions?

From: steve preston (steves287dak@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 22:07:07 EDT

Hey there! Question:

We have a 2000 Grand Cherokee 4.0/42RE with 40,000
miles that is doing some wrong stuff all of a sudden.
The other day,I did a U-turn in a parking lot,and lost
drive for about three seconds. Then,it banged into
gear at about 1500 rpm,and took off. Then the next
day,it lost drive for about a second as I pulled off
of my road onto the highway. Both times,the Jeep had
only been running long enough to get fully warm. I
checked the fluid level,and it was right in between
the add/full marks. I added about 1/2-3/4 of a quart
of fluid to make it exactly full,and have been driving
it for about a week now. It has not "slipped" out
anymore,but as I`m cruising down the road I *think* I
can feel something,like it is wanting to slip or
downshift,just ever so slightly. What should I do? My
prior Dak had this transmission,and a mechanic told me
(when it was brand new) I should not fail to have the
transmission flushed out and serviced at 20,000 miles.
Well,that Dak didn`t last long enough to reach that
mileage,before I traded for my 2001 Dak. But
ANYWAY,short story long,with the Jeep,the thought of
having a transmission flushed out scares me,because I
have heard horror stories about it being done wrong,or
the tranny not living much longer afterward. Like I
said,this is a 2000 model,so I don`t even know if it
is filled with Chrysler`s latest fluid. Should I have
it flushed out and the filter replaced,or what?

Many thanks! Steve P.