Re: Re: 45-RFE transmission pan gasket?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 14:33:23 EDT

<david.clement@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Gee!! I have just the opposite experience. I would much prefer to use just
RTV
> and I absoultly hate cork as a gasket material.
>
> Funny you mention the dif cover gasket. I threw away the gasket that came
with
> the overhaul kit for the 8 1/4 I rebuilt for my Barracuda and just used
RTV.

> Dave Clement
> 99 SLT+ CC 4x4

Really? I've only resorted to using cork gasket material on my diff cover
because I can never get the RTV to form a good seal that doesn't leak. No
matter what I try, little, fair, lots of the stuff, it always ends up
leaking. Maybe it's my technique, I'm not sure. It's pretty easy to cut
the cork, so I just use that. Other times when I can get my hands on the
paper gasket material I'll use it because I like it better. When using
paper gasket, I'll skimcoat it with RTV just for good measure. That's the
only time I can use RTV and have it seal correctly.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L