Re: Re: 45-RFE transmission pan gasket?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 11:42:45 EDT

<david.clement@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Josh,
> I have never found it necessary to be as elaborate as Tim. I do use a no
> residue solvent to clean the surfaces and definately find it easier to
clean
> off old RTV than the baked on residue of a cork or paper gasket. I also
have
> never found it necessary to wait for anything to dry. Basically clean the
> surfaces, apply the RTV put it together, fill with oil and drive away. The
oil
> in the front an rear diffs on the Dakota were changed about 6-7 months ago
and
> the only oil dampness is around the push in rubber plugs on the covers.
>
> You do need to use the right RTV for the job though. The generic silcone
> sealer/adhesives in the hardware department that smells like acidic acid
won't
> cut the mustard as it is not oil resistance and even a number of the
automotive
> silicone sealers are not oil resistant. I have had good luck with Permatex
> Ultra-Black and Ultra-Copper. I used the form a gasket that comes in the
cheese
> whiz can once on the oil pan of my 2.2 after three trys to get a seal with
the
> fancy 4 part rubber gasket. That material with no gasket at all sealed the
pan
> right up. I have also heard that anyone that has used the mopar brand has
been
> very happy.
>
> Dave Clement
> 99 SLT+ CC 4x4

When I did mine last time, (before the cork gasket) I used permatex ultra
black and still experienced some leaking. How much of the stuff are you
supposed to be using? When I peeled the cover off for the very first time,
it was squished all over the place from the getgo. Keeping this in mind, I
used a pretty decent amount of the stuff and it still ended up dripping.
I've heard so many different stories about application that I don't know
anymore. Some people say use sparingly, others say to glob the stuff on
like it's going out of style.

The reason I'm pressing this is because it's getting to be that time and I'd
like to not have to cut out cork again. If anyone wanted to take a picture
of the "perfect application" of the sealant, or offer me any other tips, I'd
be grateful.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L