Re: Re: 45-RFE transmission pan gasket?

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 11:24:36 EDT

Josh,
I have never found it necessary to be as elaborate as Tim. I do use a no
residue solvent to clean the surfaces and definately find it easier to clean
off old RTV than the baked on residue of a cork or paper gasket. I also have
never found it necessary to wait for anything to dry. Basically clean the
surfaces, apply the RTV put it together, fill with oil and drive away. The oil
in the front an rear diffs on the Dakota were changed about 6-7 months ago and
the only oil dampness is around the push in rubber plugs on the covers.

You do need to use the right RTV for the job though. The generic silcone
sealer/adhesives in the hardware department that smells like acidic acid won't
cut the mustard as it is not oil resistance and even a number of the automotive
silicone sealers are not oil resistant. I have had good luck with Permatex
Ultra-Black and Ultra-Copper. I used the form a gasket that comes in the cheese
whiz can once on the oil pan of my 2.2 after three trys to get a seal with the
fancy 4 part rubber gasket. That material with no gasket at all sealed the pan
right up. I have also heard that anyone that has used the mopar brand has been
very happy.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4