Re: Re: Suspension Q's Attn Jason

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 11:05:05 EDT

In article <086101c42d19$0ddf8040$f95f2241@a.tampabay.rr.com>,
acellan1@tampabay.rr.com ("Tony Cellana") writes:

> I didn't realize you were doing some sort of class racing. Cutting springs
> does NOT change their rate. There is just less of the spring available for
> travel.

Absoultly wrong there. Cutting a spring increases the spring rate directly in
proportion to the amount of coil removed. A coil spring is nothing more than a
curled up torsion bar. That is, as the coil is compressed the wire in the coil
is twisting (torsion), the longer the wire in the spring (i.e., the more coils)
the more it will twist for a given load (lower spring rate), shorten the wire
(i.e., remove a coil) and it twists less for a given load (increased spring
rate).

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4