Re: Re: Suspension Q's Attn Jason

From: Tony Cellana (acellan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 08:05:09 EDT

I didn't realize you were doing some sort of class racing. Cutting springs
does NOT change their rate. There is just less of the spring available for
travel. You're call obviously.

The aluminum strips in this application are fine. Just that the 2" aluminum
blocks are not solid, and over time "may" crack. I understand the weight
thing. 100 lbs = 1/10th at the dragstrip ;-) Before worrying about shims,
get a driveline measurement to see if you even need them. If so, think
Summit or a local speedshop, and they are $10-$30 IIRC. The closer to
spring width the better.

The Bils are excellent street shocks, but for what you are looking for, an
adjustable sounds like a better solution. Street ride, and twisty killing
capable with a twist of the wrist. I'm using HAL QA1s (very similar to a
Koni Adjustable). These are a 12 way adjustable. The adjustable does not
change the rate, just the stiffness. They usually run in the $150-160 a
piece range. Summit keeps them. Contact HAL via www.halshocks.com for
parts numbers best suited to your application.

TonyC