Re: Re: Suspension Q's Attn Jason

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 15:05:45 EDT

FWIW, progressive springs work based on the principle of fewer coils make a
stiffer spring. If you ever look at how progressive springs are wound some of
the coils are closer to gether than others. As the spring is compressed these
coils that are closer together come in contact before the other coils and cause
an increase in the spring rate for the remaining active portion of the spring.

Also, with all other things being equal a larger diameter spring will have a
lower spring rate (more leverage to twist the wire) and larger diameter wire
will increase the rate.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4