Re: OT new virus

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 00:54:34 EDT

>On 5/3/2004 11:45 PM, KenCo wrote:
>
>| http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser.asp
>
>We got hit by this one at work, but I don't know the full extent of it.
>~ At home, the data light on my cablemodem was blinking constantly
>(probably due to this and other nasties) within 24 hours of getting
>hooked up here at the new apartment, but my Linksys firewall kept
>everything out.

Yet another worm that hits the MORONS (yes, that's right, MORONS!) who
don't run Windows Update. The reason I call them morons is because of
the ~30 people I talked today who had this virus, most of them have
been infected and told numerous times by me or my colleagues to run
Windows Update regularly. And yet, did they do it? No... And then
they wonder why the get infected again.

It's like the people who smoke a pack a day and claim that they
"didn't know" smoking causes cancer.

So, if you're a Windows user, the lesson you should learn from this is
VISIT THE WINDOWS UPDATE SITE REGULARLY!!!!!!

Grumble. Anyway, yeah, the infected machines are trying like crazy to
spread which is something that's going to impact everyone. There are
also several variants. I cleaned a machine for a customer today that
had a variant of the Sasser virus on it that wasn't even detected by
McAfee or Norton yet. She got infected with it within a few minutes
after she cleaned off the first infection of the original Sasser
virus. The same pigs that wrote the Netsky virus are claiming
authorship of this one, which explains a lot of its very similar
behavior patterns (and the prevalence of variants).

Sorry for the rant. I'm tired. :-)

-Bill