Re: RE: Hybrids aren't all they're cracked up to be

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 11:16:18 EDT

Wayne Allewelt wrote:

> Did you read the cop out response that the Toyota Spokeperson gave "Federal
> law requires that auto manufacturers use only EPA estimates when promoting
> their vehicles' fuel economy, according to Toyota spokeswoman Nancy
> Hubbell". What a crock of sh!!. Do they expect us to believe that they let
> the government tell them what they advertise, but If that is true it just
> gives the public another reason not to believe the government.

The article noted that this is true. It's a 20 year old rule. While it
may be misleading, at least it's consistent, and does force some truth
in the advertising. Otherwise carmakers would make some really wild claims.

Remember kids, there are truth in advertising laws. This is just an
additional way to keep the automakers closer to honest. Otherwise
they'd be saying our Daks get 50+ MPG - but in the fine print, it says
"in neutral, downhill, with a tailwind."

The "cargo space" claims are also regulated - if you read the fine
print, it says "based on EPA numbers" and comparisons against any other
vehicle have to say what model year they're talking about (sometimes
you'll see extra info as well). Also notice that the ads will claim one
price (the base price), then an "as shown" price that's many thousands
higher - they'll show you the base price, but if you want everything you
see on TV, pry that wallet open wider.

There are a lot of advertising regulations in all industries.

> Maybe the auto manufacturers ought to put a statement below the sticker
> window mileage that "THESE MILEAGE FIGURES ARE A BIG GUESS BY THE EPA,
> YOU'D HAVE BETTER LUCK GUESSING THE LOTTO NUMBERS, THAN GETTING THIS ACTUAL
> PRINTED MILEAGE".

Check out the smaller print under the big numbers on that sticker. I
don't have mine handy but it said something like "vehicles in this class
range from 12 to 18 MPG city, 14 to 23 MPG highway." Just reading that
it's clear to me that it's a completely wild guess