Re: Alarm suggestions

From: Jeff Durling (jdurling@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 08:32:36 EDT

On May 20, 2004, at 9:12 PM, andy levy wrote:

> I love impulse buys, especially when Marci approves them. First the
> shocks, now an alarm.
>
> A car alarm was going off in our parking lot last night at 2 AM. Saw 2
> police cars out there checking things out. We found out tonight that
> the car parked right next to my truck had the stereo ripped out of it.
> Am I scared now? You bet your ass.
>
> So, I'm looking for an alarm now. I'm going to have it installed
> professionally, looking for comments on what brands/models to look at.
> I don't want to sound cheap but I can't go much beyond $300 I'm
> thinking.
>
> '03 QC, power everything, with remote entry. Remote start is optional.
> ~ Thanks for any ideas.
>
> - --
> - -andy

Here's my take on what I did back in high school for an alarm. I had a
nissan that wasn't that old but was a plain car. While not a chick
magnet it was cheap on gas, reliable, and for the most part kept me
under the radar when it came to the cops for speeding and such. I did,
however, put in a very good and expensive stereo system. I was afraid
that someone was going to go after it, which they did and lost, so I
looked into car alarms. I ended using an Alpine at the time that had
the illuminated keypad and a pager to notify it was going off. The
whole alarm was set it with trip sensors and such but I added one
modification. On the door sensors only I rigged up an addition to the
alarm. I bought 8 150db piazzo tweeters form radio shack and had them
hidden in the car and hooked into the alarm horn circuit. Two under the
dash, two in the rear deck, One on each side in the upper a-pillers and
one on each side in the upper rear pillers.

Lets just say that when they went off you couldn't stand to be in the
car more than 2 seconds. Your eardrums would start freaking out and
even if you were there for a couple of seconds you ears would ring bad
for the next hour or so.

as I mentioned someone finally tried to steal the stereo in the car a
year after I had got it. One night about three in the morning they
struck. I had to park the car at the end of the street where I lived
because the driveway would only hold one car so it was about 100 yards
form my house around a corner. They struck and got the door open and
the alarm went crazy. Since they couldn't stand to be in the car they
tried to disconnect he battery but I wired the the tweeters to a second
battery in the truck. Anyway, a neighbor who lived down there was woke
up by the regular alarm (the tweeters weren't that loud outside the
car, and got me and also called the cops. found the dudes in a parking
lot nearby with the guy who went in the car still messed up from the
tweeters. Cops told me that while I shouldn't have an active type theft
device the tweeter setup stopped the theft.

I am going to do the same type setup again in my '96 when i get to it.
If you are going to say i can be sued we'll I look at it as they
shouldn't be there in the first place and the system only makes it
impossible to stay in the vehicle it doesn't do any long term damage
unles they decide to hang out in there.

Jeff Durling