Re: X-pipes

From: Pindell, Timothy (TPindell@OTTERBEIN.EDU)
Date: Fri May 21 2004 - 22:29:41 EDT

I've been a Dodge 4-banger guy for quite some time, so this v-8 stuff is all
new. I'll be remodeling the whole exhaust from the headers back. I've got a
crusty 50-series Flowmaster on there now with no cat. Sounds quite gnarly.
Would I get the same scavenging x-pipe effect from a dual-in/dual-out style
muffler? If so, I could save the length required by the x-pipe. The headers
come to 3" collectors IIRC. (These are the Mopar/Doug Thorley's. I'll have
to get more specs- I didn't built this thing, I just bought it.) My problem
is that I'd like to get the exhaust to exit in front of the right rear
wheel, but I think there may be too much 'stuff' to do it on this RC when
the x-pipe, cats, and mufflers are considered. I don't have much length to
work with. (Do we ever?) I'd like to have it all done in stainless so I
never have to get under there and mess with it again. If I have it exit in
front of the right rear wheel, then I can save a bit on tubing and labor
costs, too. Any suggestions on this layout? I'm not sure it can be done in
that small of a space.

Tim