Re: Re: X-pipes

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Mon May 24 2004 - 13:40:33 EDT

""Pindell, Timothy"" <TPindell@OTTERBEIN.EDU> wrote in message

> I've been a Dodge 4-banger guy for quite some time, so this v-8 stuff is
all
> new. I'll be remodeling the whole exhaust from the headers back. I've got
> crusty 50-series Flowmaster on there now with no cat. Sounds quite
gnarly.
> Would I get the same scavenging x-pipe effect from a dual-in/dual-out
style
> muffler? If so, I could save the length required by the x-pipe. The
headers
> come to 3" collectors IIRC. (These are the Mopar/Doug Thorley's. I'll have
> to get more specs- I didn't built this thing, I just bought it.) My
problem
> is that I'd like to get the exhaust to exit in front of the right rear
> wheel, but I think there may be too much 'stuff' to do it on this RC when
> the x-pipe, cats, and mufflers are considered. I don't have much length
> work with. (Do we ever?) I'd like to have it all done in stainless so I
> never have to get under there and mess with it again. If I have it exit in
> front of the right rear wheel, then I can save a bit on tubing and labor
> costs, too. Any suggestions on this layout? I'm not sure it can be done
in
> that small of a space.
>
> Tim

Well, if I was going to do that sort of setup on my truck I'd probably
modify the y-pipe from the headers and throw the x in there. So, you'll
have the collecter from the right bank's header right next to the outlet of
the crossover pipe from the left bank's header. (does this make sense?)
Then you could custom fab something up by using a tube bender to just put
alittle bit of a bend on the pipe so they touch. Then, cut off a wedge
shaped portion of each tube and weld the holes together. Bingo, instant
x-pipe. Then you could use your two high flow cats and whatever muffler you
choose. I think if you were to do it this way, you'd definately be able to
get it all under the truck so that it could still exit where you're looking
to have it exit, if you didn't get an extremely long muffler. I hope this
makes sense.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L