Re: French Fry Diesel Power (was Today's gas prices)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat May 22 2004 - 15:27:05 EDT

Barry wrote:

> SO, Norah, how does Jason feel about you kissing strange men from
> different countries?

As long as it's just on the cheek, I don't have a problem with it.
Don't get any big ideas, though.

> I intentionally don't use smileys, this is not the AOL teen chatroom,
> this is a group of adults. If you need a smiley to tell if I am
> joking or not, it's too late, you have already missed my point...

So, what? Everyone on this list who uses smileys belongs in an AOL teen
chatroom? Is that what you're trying to say? Are you calling us
immature? What? I don't understand what you're insinuating. There are
an awful lot of smiley-using people here. Are you trying to insult all
of them, or just one or two people in particular? Or do you think
you're so superior that you don't have to use them like us mere mortals
do? I don't get it, and I know asking you to explain yourself is a
waste of time, because I "just don't get it".

Just a friendly suggestion... don't over-estimate your own writing
skill. Smileys are useful to convey non-verbal information that people
usually get in conversation from clues such as facial expression, tone
of voice, body language, etc. It is true that a skilled writer can
craft his writing to convey that missing information using words alone.
You, sir, are simply not that good. Incidentally, neither am I. If I
were, I'd be writing for a living. I know my limitations, and I for one
am willing to admit that I have them, so I employ emoticons to help
convey the full meaning of what I'm trying to say. Don't expect us to
read your mind and figure out what you were thinking when you wrote your
post, especially since you usually keep them way too short for any real
explanation.

If you don't want to use smileys, then I strongly suggest you try
re-reading your post several times from different points of view to
understand how your meaning might be mis-interpreted. Like I said,
we're not mind readers. All we see are the words you type, not how you
feel or what you're thinking at the time. We also don't all think
exactly the same way you think, so try to understand that just because
we don't instantly agree with everything you say doesn't mean we're
"wrong" just that we have different opinions, if that would be okay with
you.