Re: Hybrids (was: Hybrid Escape)

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 11:41:32 EDT

Ted Wiegandt said:

> Ahhh Fuel Cells....what marketing...
>
> What people don't realize is that 'wells to wheels' diesels are more
> efficient than fuel cells. Also, modern diesels are getting very clean.
> There is a ton of cost in refining or preparing hydrogen. Where are we
> going to get the hydrogen? From water.. that takes electricity..and where
> did you get the electricity? Refine from crude oil to gasoline to the
> hydrogen..that takes energy and has emissions. Fuel cells may be zero
> emissions, but the production of hydrogen is not.

Oh, come on... how could there be any difficulty obtaining hydrogen? It's
only the most abundant element in the universe! :-)

That's a good point... I hadn't thought about that issue yet. I've heard
the argument about pollution from the power plant applied to straight
electric cars, but never stopped to think about where we're going to get
all this hydrogen from. Where did the Germans used to get it when they
were using it for zeppelins? The same way?

I seem to remember reading something about Chrysler doing some research
with a solid fuel cell that used something close to Borax soap. Anyone
know anything more about that, or am I remembering incorrectly?