Suspension Choices - Just shocks, or whole hog?

From: Robert Schultz (not_robert_schultz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 19:51:40 EDT

After ~72,000 miles (or 122K km) the stock shocks are well past their
usable life. The trucks wallows on uneven pavement and the front tires
skip when turning on broken surfaces.

So, time for new shocks, but I figured that I could actually get a full
lowering kit with new springs and shocks for not too much more than just
the shocks. Shock would be $400-600 CDN and a Belltech kit is $400US.
The Hotchkis TVS is $800US.

I need help with the options though:

1. Shocks only.
 From the responses in previous posts, there are tons of good choices.
If I pair this up with new poly bushings the ride should be back to
normal or fairly improved. Easy and safe.

2. Lowering kit.
This problem I have here is the reduction in load capacity and
especially towing. I do tow up to the max a number of times per year. I
gather from my (limited) research that the majority of the towing issue
is due to the pinion angle and increased wear in the drive line. Is that
correct? If so, doesn't a shim resolve this? If so, why didn't Dodge
just do this for the R/T?

I have some other questions about lowering. I was looking at two kits, a
Belltech kit, springs and Nitto shocks, but it's a 2" and 4" drop. That
seem a bit too much in the rear of a truck that seems to sit fairly
level right now. The other choice was Hotchkis with a 2" and 3". This
seemed a little more reasonable. But there were some postings about how
harsh the ride got. How harsh is harsh? Bad enough to require a kidney
belt? Can anyone compare it to a late model sports sedan? I've spent
time in two late model Mazda 626s recently and their fairly firm and you
can definitely feel the road. That's fine as far as I'm concerned.

Is there anything else I should be aware of? How much do you have to pay
attention to driveway ramps etc to keep from damaging frame or body
work? Are 'properly' suspended vehicles going to blast past when I have
to go over the railroad tracks :-(? Are gravel roads out of the picture
with their washboard and potholes?

Can a reasonably competent shade=tree mechanic do the work without a
hoist? Floor jack, hand tools etc.?

So many questions, so little time.

Thanks in advance,
Rob S